Here I will try my best to record any and all happenings in my life that I feel are of relative importance to my personal growth as a jazz listener/performer. This will include, but is not limited to: my attendance at live performances, educational encounters with teachers/mentors/etc., personal discoveries, goals, challenges, difficulties, successes, jam sessions, transcriptions, etc etc etc.

Sunday, January 14, 2007

Jam Session


-Yuki came over and brought his friend Kenta, a trumpet player.
-Yuki, an M.D. PhD. at UCDMC, didn't have a full drumkit, but did wonderfully with an improvised setup, told me that his snare alone cost more than $1000!
-he used a conga drum and cowbell to substitute for the double-bass and high-hat! (see photo on left)
-He's had over 20 years of experience from Japan, the guy carried the music the whole way through, great listener, great drummer, churned out all these great little rhythmic accents that keep pushing the music forward, next time I'd like to record his playing.
-we played through Bessie's Blues by Charlie Parker, Autumn Leaves, I Thought About You, some Coltrane song which I can't remember the name of, Four by Miles Davis and jammed over a salsa montuno.
-Was fun. I was very nervous but they were both very patient with me. Said that next time they'd like to bring some beer to drink before we play. I only wish that Yuki spoke better English so that I could actually better understand his suggestions. They told me they'd like me to play with them on Picnic Day but I think that they were just being polite. I don't think I'll be ready to perform by then, we'll see.
-Practice goals for the week: arpeggios and change running, two-handed bebop voicings in time, blues in Bb and Eb, tyner voicings? Would like to start transcribing again but will probably end up waiting until the laptop comes in, whenever that is, no rush.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home