Here I will try my best to record any and all happenings in my life that I feel are of relative importance to my personal growth as a jazz listener/performer. This will include, but is not limited to: my attendance at live performances, educational encounters with teachers/mentors/etc., personal discoveries, goals, challenges, difficulties, successes, jam sessions, transcriptions, etc etc etc.

Sunday, November 12, 2006

Cedar Walton Trio


-Cedar Walton on Piano, Lewish Nash on Drums, David Williams on Bass, Steve Turre on trombone and Vincent Herring on Alto Sax
-at Yoshi's with Ravi
-great hard bop, played mostly his own compositions
-his soloing is better than anything I've heard on his recordings with Art Blakey, each note appropriate, nothing unnecessary, totally unsentimental even while he was 'bopping', not once did he lose his cool, completely in control of himself and the instrument the whole time; and each of his compositions hooked (interview with Cedar Walton here)
-All amazing musicians: Steve Turre-one of the most exciting trombone players I've ever seen, more so than Delfaeyo Marsalis;Vincent Herring burned; Lewis Nash blew me away; David Williams would dance around and shake during the performances, one of the best bass soloists I've seen; just a solid ensemble in general
-'Cedar's Blues' had a 16 bar head but I was confused by the 12-bar choruses, found a transcription online to confirm what I had heard: Cedar's Blues
-would love to see him again, can't believe that he is 71,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home