Here I will try my best to record any and all happenings in my life that I feel are of relative importance to my personal growth as a jazz listener/performer. This will include, but is not limited to: my attendance at live performances, educational encounters with teachers/mentors/etc., personal discoveries, goals, challenges, difficulties, successes, jam sessions, transcriptions, etc etc etc.

Thursday, March 15, 2007

Coltrane and Kurt Elling (at Yoshi's)

Have been listening a lot to Coltrane's "A Love Supreme", especially Part III Resolution. Here are the changes: http://www.songtrellis.com/picture$1752
The arrangement for the introduction on the actual recording repeats the 24 bar form with a 16 measure 'bridge'(?) inserted in between for a total of 64 measures.

Interesting university thesis-type article on Coltrane's spiritual association music and his religion; how they eventually became one. http://www-mcnair.berkeley.edu/95journal/EmmetPrice.html
Some discussion of his famed 'Coltrane Changes': inserting minor thirds between chords to create his often-dubbed 'sheets of sound' improvisations. Was he really Christian? Heard from an interview with Kurt Elling that Coltrane really believed in more of a universal cosmic spirit kind of deity, rather than a specific doctrine of any particular religion, despite having been raised as a Christian for most his life. Apparently, not long before his death, Coltrane is reported to have said 'I believe in all religions.' This I find comforting.

Speaking of Kurt Elling, I saw him at Yoshi's a few weekends ago, on a whim while in Berkeley, after having attended Brandon's brother's service. Went late to the 10pm show accompanied by Lenny and Eugenia. Willie Jones III on drums. Started off on a bit of a weird vibe: we got in just as they were doing some sort of poetry-music fusion slam session. Luckily, they eventually got back down to business. We got to see him Elling scat his heart out for 2 choruses over a sweet arrangement of Moanin', (which he dedicated to President Bush) and then sing over a lush piano accompaniment of 'In the Wee Small Hours of the Morning'. Wasn't exactly my idea of hard-swinging straight-ahead jazz but I was relieved that Lenny seemed to feel that it was money well-spent, don't know if I could say the same for Eugenia. His voice is a bit disturbing to me, I can't explain why yet, but even as I listen to his recorded version of 'Resolution', I find myself a little uneasy. Wish I could have invited Brandon along but I didn't think it would be appropriate.

Non Jazz Topic here, but related: Found a link to listen to sermons given in a 'Universalist Church' in South Carolina. Will check these out when I've got the time: http://www.uucs.org/sermons.html

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home