Here I will try my best to record any and all happenings in my life that I feel are of relative importance to my personal growth as a jazz listener/performer. This will include, but is not limited to: my attendance at live performances, educational encounters with teachers/mentors/etc., personal discoveries, goals, challenges, difficulties, successes, jam sessions, transcriptions, etc etc etc.

Friday, November 10, 2006

Melodic Construction during Improvisation

Another very cool article on the idea of forming a contour of the idea in your mind's ear without necessarily having to hear every note of it; also makes reference to the difference between vertical and horizontal considerations when constructing a line. Joe Gilman was trying to explain the same thing to me but without any mention of vertical vs. horizontal hearing.

A whole wealth of jazz improv info here, same website:
The Jazz Improvisation Almanac

Another one here:
The Jazz Improvisation Primer

The internet is an amazing thing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home