Here I will try my best to record any and all happenings in my life that I feel are of relative importance to my personal growth as a jazz listener/performer. This will include, but is not limited to: my attendance at live performances, educational encounters with teachers/mentors/etc., personal discoveries, goals, challenges, difficulties, successes, jam sessions, transcriptions, etc etc etc.

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Ray Brown Tribute Concert


10/13/06
-at Yoshi's
-went with Ravi, had nice chat about his work with Al Chinn at Guidant (now called Boston Medical Devices or something like that)
-Benny Green on piano, Marlena Shaw vocals, Jeff Hamilton on Drums, John Clayton on Bass (Ray Brown's bass)
-first set, kind of slow; Benny Green only allowed one chorus per solo; once she cut him off
-second set, awesome; Green played Milestones, Jeff Hamilton did a drum solo of Caravan; Everyone kicked ass on this set
-Benny Green was high the whole time, stuttering, slurring, cracking up, sloppy smiling at the soloist, knocking over his water glasses-couple next to us argued about it.
-very cute blonde waitress; Ravi: "He only drinks whites."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home