Here I will try my best to record any and all happenings in my life that I feel are of relative importance to my personal growth as a jazz listener/performer. This will include, but is not limited to: my attendance at live performances, educational encounters with teachers/mentors/etc., personal discoveries, goals, challenges, difficulties, successes, jam sessions, transcriptions, etc etc etc.

Friday, October 13, 2006

Attacking Bebop

Had a mini-revelation last night; it was getting late, maybe 1.30am and I was practicing licks over a ii chord when a phrase that I had practiced more than a 3 months ago from Joe Gilman's practice sheet sort of lept into my head. I had only practiced this phrase a few times, hadn't even transposed it over all 12 keys but for some reason I felt my fingers pulling in a certain direction and as they played the notes, my mind was following-I didn't hit the phrase perfectly on the first try, it took me 3 or 4 run-throughs before I was satisfied that I was playing it correctly, but it's amazing how my ear could still feel out the phrase well enough to tell whether or not I was on. At certain moments, I could almost hear it. Current strategies for attacking improvising and improving my ear to build a foundation for playing in the bebop idiom are as follows:

-Ear training: (sing and playing)
  • -arpeggios (major7th, minor7th, dominant7th, halfdiminished, diminished)
  • -arpeggios with chromatic approach (above and below)
  • -arpeggios with diatonic approach (above and below)
  • -partner ear training exercises
  • -diatonic and chromatic tone recognition
-Licks:
  • -transcribe and transpose one chord/bar phrases from recordings
  • -transpose selected licks from phrase books
-Modal:
  • -transpose 2- note patterns chromatically, singing along when possible
-Songs:
  • -learn melody and bass lines first, sing them
  • -improvise over bass notes
  • -listen in time

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home